An optometrist is a health care provider who diagnoses, treats, and manages conditions related to your eyes and vision. Optometrists perform a variety of tests and exams depending on your age, abilities, and general health.
Eye exams are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) for most adults 20-64 years old (except those with specific medical conditions). For individuals who have OHIP coverage for eye exams, the coverage does not include some tests that help in the diagnosis and management of certain eye diseases and conditions.
If your optometrist recommends testing that is not covered by OHIP, they will:
- inform you of any test before it happens;
- explain why the test is needed in your situation;
- outline any additional fees and explain what they are for;
- discuss the benefits (or risks, if any) associated with the test; and
- obtain your consent to perform the test.
Talk to your optometrist about what tests you can expect at your next appointment.Leave a reply →