This matter came before a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College of Optometrists of Ontario on May 13, 2015 in Toronto, Ontario, at 10:00 a.m. at 65 St. Clair Ave. E.
1. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE FINDS Dr. Richard Samuell guilty of professional misconduct as set out in paragraph 39 of section 1 of Ontario Regulation 119/94 made under the Optometry Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 35.
2. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS that Dr. Samuell be reprimanded.
3. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS that Dr. Samuell pay the College’s costs in the amount of $6500 payable to the College of Optometrists of Ontario within six months of the date of this Order.
4. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS that Dr. Samuell’s certificate of registration shall be suspended for four weeks.
5. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS that two weeks of the suspension referred to in paragraph 4, above, shall be suspended upon the completion of the following conditions:
a. That Dr. Samuell unconditionally pass the ProBE Course at his own expense (Professional/Problem-Based Ethics) within twelve months of the date of this Order and that he provides proof that he has done so to the Registrar; and
b. That Dr. Samuell provides proof, acceptable to the Registrar, that he has and is paying rent to the Optical Gallery for a period of twelve months following the date of this Order;
Failing to meet the above conditions will result in Dr. Samuell immediately having to serve the remaining two weeks’ suspension.
6. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS THAT the suspension shall commence on a date to be determined by the Registrar.
7. THE DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE ORDERS THAT the terms of the above penalty shall be recorded in the Register and available to the public.